Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Keep It Moving!

Today's post is all about that word some people (including myself) dread... EXERCISE!

I've been active and overweight my entire life. I played outside with friends in my neighborhood a lot. I was part of the local Little League from tee-ball through junior league softball, through which a few of us practiced more than most because our coach was our best friends mom and they lived within walking distance of my house. I've danced in countless musicals. I would walk over a mile every night. And yet, I've always been overweight.

In high school, college, and the years after (until now), I became less active. I would have bouts of activity. (Musicals, carrying a backpack full of massive textbooks all around campus, etc.), but I never "exercised."

When I started my Herbalife plan last year, I set the goal of going to the gym and working out for an hour 6 times a week. For someone who spent most of her "free time" on the couch, that was a lofty goal, but I stuck with it... at first. I had a gym buddy, and we went 6 times a week. It was fun... until it got boring and repetitive and the soreness became unbearable because I hadn't allowed my muscles to heal. I was pushing myself too hard, too fast, but the number on the scale was dropping. That was what mattered. Right? WRONG!

What I was doing to my body wasn't health. I'm not saying to not push yourself beyond your limits. By all means, test those limits, but test them in a healthy fashion.

This time around I had set the goal to walk for 30 minutes 3 times a week. Well, that might have been a low goal because I've already surpassed it. I'm not sore. I'm not trying to do too much, but I'm breaking a sweat and being active. However, since I know I'm not pushing too far, I've added to it. The path I walk is almost 2 miles, and it takes me approximately 36 minutes to walk it. I know people who can run double the distance in half the time, but I'm not them. I'm me, and running is something I'm working towards. I just cannot do it now. So, I went to Pinterest (Imagine that!) and looked for beginner workouts. I found one! It's simple without being too simple. It changes by day, so it won't be too repetitive. The difficulty also increases by day. It's an 80 day plan with built in rest days, and I'm really excited about it!

Today, I did Day 1 along with my walk, and I feel amazing! That's what this lifestyle change is all about... feeling better than I did the day before. It's a slow process but beyond worth it.

So, go for a walk... a jog... a run. Play a game of basketball with some friends. Do some crunches and push-ups on your living room floor. Just keep moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment